Page loading, please wait...

The page still doesn't show? Click here

BOM Home Biet-O-Matic Forum
  Watched TopicsWatched Topics     FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English language donations link?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Biet-O-Matic Forum Forum Index -> Webpräsenz und Forum | Website and Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy2No
BOM-erfahren
BOM-erfahren

PostPosted: 26.09.2015 - 01:03    Post subject: English language donations link? Reply with quote

I've been meaning to make a small donation - and I eventually realised that's what the "Support the project" link meant - not an invitation to become involved in writing open source software, after all Smile

However, the Paypal page it links to is written in German. As I'm British, I have laughably poor language skills, so I usually make do with Google translate. When it comes to parting with money, I'd rather be reading a page written in English. It's quite a popular language. Americans speak something very similar, apparently.

I thought there might be a language switch provided by Paypal, but no, not on that page, as far as I can see. You might have to actually ask for a page specifically in English.

I'm sure my suggestions won't be welcome, but somehow, I just can't help making them.

1) I'd suggest "Donate to the project" would be a lot clearer, to native English speakers than "Support the project".

2) I'd suggest an alternative donations page, written in English. Quite a lot of non-German speakers understand English, apparently.

3) I'd suggest asking Paypal for a link with the card payments option, if that's possible.

Personally, I refuse to give Paypal Direct Debit access to my bank account, so I'm subject to an unreasonably low annual sending limit. This means I can't make a donation until that limit is renewed, in February, unless I can do it with my usual card.

I can still buy things on ebay, through the Paypal checkout, but I can't send you money by logging into my Paypal account. People who don't want a Paypal account can't give you money, for the same reason.

Possibly you're an eccentric millionaire, and don't really need any more money, in which case please ignore everything I've said.
Andy2No
BOM-erfahren
BOM-erfahren

PostPosted: 09.11.2015 - 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another go at making a donation, and I'm glad to see the donations processing is now in English. I'm not sure how Germans feel about that, and I couldn't see a way to choose, but English works for me...

I was under the impression I could now pay with my card, without using a Paypal account, because I've been able to do that on ebay, lately. Sadly, no.

I got to the part of the payment taking page where it was asking for my name and address etc, but it then asked for a Paypal password, to create an account with. Looking more closely at the form, it said this, near the top:

Create a PayPal Account or Log In

So, there still isn't a way to pay without using an actual Paypal account - either you have to use one you already have, or you have to create one. I already have one, and I used it with my one and only card, until it reached it's annual sending limit, some time ago. There's no point me trying to create a new account - that won't work unless I also use a new card. I've tried that sort of thing before.

So, as it stands, I still can't give you any money until the sending limit on my account renews, in mid February, unless you also find a way to make it take card payments directly, through Paypal's system but without using an account, as Ebay and most online shops now do.

Possibly your Paypal account doesn't allow you to do that? As it stands, they're using your donations page to sign up new members, or turn away some of your donations.

Also, it still took me a while to find that "Support The Project" button again, and as hovering over it shows a link to SourceForge, I can see why I initially thought it might be inviting me to take part in writing code for it - I'm too old and inept to get involved in that sort of thing, these days.

A more prominent link, maybe just labelled "Donate" (and whatever the German equivalent is for that), would probably help you raise more money.
hamstiglue
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: 11.11.2015 - 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the Sourceforge donation system and that links to paypal. There are no options for a direct checkout without paypal account. And no, we are no millionaires but we are raising enough funds to cover our hosting expenses, thats basically all we need. We don't want to make money.
Andy2No
BOM-erfahren
BOM-erfahren

PostPosted: 11.11.2015 - 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. It's good to know you're making enough money to get by. I'll bear that in mind when Paypal finally allow me to contribute something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Biet-O-Matic Forum Forum Index -> Webpräsenz und Forum | Website and Board All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: